[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Robert Brenstein mailmate at learning-insights.eu
Tue Jan 28 13:45:11 EST 2020

On 28 Jan 2020, at 19:25, Jo wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2020, at 5:11, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> Create an Inbox rule that moves emails to one specific, pre-existing
>> IMAP mailbox. Then setup another "rule" attached to that mailbox with
>> no actual rules, but the settings to creates virtual submailboxes
>> based on the sender's name. This way, you get the sorting by sender's
>> name and the moving of the messages out of your inbox.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> It almost makes sense. The problem I’m having is wrapping my head
> around IMAP in general, I think. I have been almost exclusively using
> POP for so many years now.
>
> So is a ‘pre-existing IMAP mailbox’ one that is for a specific
> email address? Is it in the Sources area? There are so MANY mailboxes
> here it’s very confusing. Of course I have a half dozen email
> addresses in play, so it’s my own fault.
>
> Jo

I used to use Eudora and POP for ever and ever, so when I switched to
MailMate and IMAP, it took some mental effort and head scratching to
adjust. My suggestion is that you embrace the IMAP paradigm rather than
sticking to POP style. It took me some physical effort to set all up but
it was well worth it and the effort was mostly only during the initial
setup. In practical terms, I suggest that you learn to use the smart
mailboxes that MailMate offers and do not or only minimally use
additional real folder/mailboxes in your IMAP account. A lot more power
and flexibility to gain over time. Focus more on creating an optimal
mail workflow than recreating your previous setup.

Robert