[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Tue Jan 28 12:06:48 EST 2020

That’s cute, but frankly it’s overly technical and not very
user-friendly. Go ahead and google “MiB” to see what pops up.

I understand the rationale, but the practical reality is that most
people will just wonder why “MB” is mis-spelled.

Is there anything in this world that the standards committees cannot
make worse? :)

On 28 Jan 2020, at 11:41, Ian Petersen wrote:

> Glenn,
>
>> BTW, another odd bit is the use of “MiB” and “KiB”. In
>> English, “MiB” is most likely read as “Men In Black” (the
>> movie). “Megabyte” is just “MB” (there’s not even an
>> “i” in the word), and “Kilobyte” is just “KB”.
>

> Actually these are the correct ISO standard names for 1024 bytes or
> 1024 kibibytes.
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte
>
> Cheers
> Ian