[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 08:11:03 EST 2020

On 27 Jan 2020, at 21:16, Jo wrote:

> Hi,
> Just switched over to MailMate from PowerMail. I’ve been hanging
> onto PM for a very long time, but it seems it’s not gonna work with
> the next OS upgrade, so here I am. There is a lot here that’s very
> similar and some new stuff that I like better, but I’m having
> trouble with sorting my incoming mail. 2 questions:
>
> I was able to sort by who the mail was FROM, by creating groups in my
> address book in PM. Is there a way to do that? Rather than going thru
> and adding each individual to the filters within a smart mailbox?

I'm not familiar with PM, but MM doesn't have its own address book.  The
MacOS contacts App has the notion of groups, but I'm not sure that's
visible to MM.

> Also, what if I just want to save some emails by physically moving
> them into a folder? I’m guessing that’s something with
> ‘archives’ but I can’t seem to figure out how to make this
> happen.

You can create a rule with an action of "Move to Mailbox", though it
apparently has to be a pre-existing IMAP mailbox/folder.

> What I’d like it not to accidentally delete them when I am in the
> basic ‘inbox’ somewhere. In PM, if I put something in a folder,
> that’s the only place it was. Here it seems to be a ‘copy.’ OK,
> I know it’s not a copy, more like an alias, I guess? But whatever, I
> don’t want to see it elsewhere, because I might accidentally hit
> delete. Does that make sense?

Yes it does now, so my previous suggestion of looking at the options
under the "Submailboxes" tab won't work for you.  It seems like you want
the logic of the "Submailboxes" tab that can automatically create a
sub-mailbox based on the name of the each sender, but to have it create
real IMAP folders to physically move the mail to, rather than virtual
submailboxes.  I don't see any way to do that directly, but hw about
this:

Create an Inbox rule that moves emails to one specific, pre-existing
IMAP mailbox.  Then setup another "rule" attached to that mailbox with
no actual rules, but the settings to creates virtual submailboxes based
on the sender's name.  This way, you get the sorting by sender's name
and the moving of the messages out of your inbox.

Does that make sense?

-Eric