[MlMt] Moving from Apple Mail to Mailmate

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 11:20:01 EDT 2020

On 26 Aug 2020, at 10:55, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2020-08-26 06:20:56 (+0800), Antonio Leding wrote:
>> My core questions would be around performance (I have well over 150k
>> messages across 12 email accounts), reliability, SpamSieve
>> functionality, things you wish you’d known before migrating, etc.
>
> I wouldn't worry about performance or reliability too much with only
> 150,000 messages.  There are people on this mailing list with millions
> of messages and MailMate "just copes". :) (I have just shy of 2
> million messages and I have one mailbox with just over 150,000
> messages in it.  I know that I am not the biggest email hoarder here.)
>
>> As an FYI, I did check out the Mailmate Mailman archive but didn’t
>> find a lot concerning migrating from Apple Mail…hence this message.
>
> If I were to venture a guess ... I'd say it's pretty uneventful for
> most people. :)

These are some functional differences I encountered between MM and Apple
Mail:

- No POP3 support
- No built-in spam filtering
- No local, "on your Mac" mailboxes.  Everything is stored on the
server.
- Composing rich emails is done with Markdown

For me, the first item was a non-issue.  To address the second, I use
SpamSieve (Apple Mail's junk filtering had really begun failing me
anyway).  For the third, I bought EagleFiler to archive older emails I
had been storing locally with Apple Mail.

SpamSieve and EagleFiler are both excellent products from C-Command
Software  (https://c-command.com/)

Finally, composing emails with Markdown took some getting used to but I
now really like it.  One of the (few) complaints I sometimes read about
MM is that the Markdown processor used is a bit old and crufty, and
missing some features.

All in all I'm an extremely happy MM customer, and simply can't imagine
ever going back to Apple Mail.

-Eric