[MlMt] Moving from Apple Mail to Mailmate

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Wed Aug 26 05:12:39 EDT 2020

On 26 Aug 2020, at 0:20, Antonio Leding wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After many years of using Apple Mail, I have hit a dead-end with
> regard to both performance and search-ability.  I have always heard
> great things about Mailmate but because Mail was working well —
> coupled with a fair bit of inertia — I never took the time to really
> take a look at MM.
>
> However, due to the issues noted above, I find I am now taking that
> look and so far, pretty darn’d impressed.  The only issue I’ve
> really had thus far was not being able to have multiple SMTP servers
> but after discovering the hidden setting to enable that experimental
> feature, I now have some of that functionality as well.
>
> So, to all those out there who have done a similar migration, I would
> like to solicit any feedback (good and bad) you would like to offer
> someone who is considering the same change.  My core questions would
> be around performance (I have well over 150k messages across 12 email
> accounts), reliability, SpamSieve functionality, things you wish
> you’d known before migrating, etc.
>
> As an FYI, I did check out the Mailmate Mailman archive but didn’t
> find a lot concerning migrating from Apple Mail…hence this message.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback you share…

One of the nice things about e-mail is that it's protocol based so you
can happily run different mail clients for the same account at the same
time. And that's what I suggest you do. Maybe try your accounts one by
one until you're confident that everything is as it should be. And if it
isn't, you can just stick with Apple Mail.

I could never get on with Apple Mail, even after Apple hired the
developer of Postmaster to work on it: it dumbs down too much. It's
prettier than MailMate but means that it's missing some really useful
stuff as a result.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark