[MlMt] Dark Mode

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Aug 20 13:19:10 EDT 2020

On 20 Aug 2020, at 18:44, Dave C wrote:

> Don’t know the answer.
>
> Replying because I’m curious: what’s the attraction to Dark Mode
> many developers are offering?

It's been popular for years among some developers, largely for that
retro CRT VT 100 feeling. Personally, I blame The Matrix!

Research suggests that dark mode reduces the amount of blue light we're
exposed to, and blue light stimulates us, thus making it harder to
sleep. However, based on what I've read and my own experience I'd say
this is humbug for any kind of LCD display, because the backlight always
produces blue light. On OLED screens you **can** get better energy
efficiency with dark mode and, because there is no back light, you can
reduce the amount of blue light produced because the display really only
lights what it needs. So, I've had dark mode on my OLED phones for most
apps for as long as possible, though it doesn't work so well for maps.

However, any kind of self-illuminating screen is far more stimulating
than other screens. This is why e-ink is **so** much better for reading
than LCD or OLED, especially at close distances. Whether my Kobo is blue
or orange is far less important than the fact it make use of ambient
light.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark