[MlMt] Auto delete old messages that have a certain tag?

Roger Bohn Rbohn at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 7 17:06:12 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,
I want to throw away certain old messages after a specified time. But I
want to use tags to set which messages get this treatment. In process
terms:

* Message arrives, goes into an assigned mailbox.
* I read it
* I decide it should be kept until some condition or event happens, then
thrown away. For now, the event is “the message is more than a month
old.”
* I set a tag “DELETE30” on the message.
* The message remains in its regular mailbox.
* After 30 days, the message is automatically deleted from the mailbox.

How can I do this?
It’s easy to create a Smart Mailbox with messages that have tag
DELETE30 and “Date Is Not Within Last 30 days” , using Conditions.
But Conditions do not create actions, if I understand them. Rules carry
out actions, but rules are only executed when a message is processed for
other reasons.

For example, is there a way to automatically delete messages in a
particular Smart Mailbox, once a day?

thanks for any suggestions. Drafting this message has clarified my
thinking, but not led to a solution.]
Roger