[MlMt] Mailmate can’t reach server, weekly

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Oct 15 15:32:07 EDT 2019

On 15 Oct 2019, at 13:43, Dave C wrote:

> On average of weekly, Mailmate will put up an error dialogue saying
> that an account (usually Yahoo accounts, but not always limited to
> that domain) password is incorrect and ask me to input the correct
> one. This always fails (even after multiple attempts), so I click the
> Cancel button and live without that account for a day. Next day I take
> these accounts online and all is good for another week.

I have not had exactly that problem but I have seen persistent bad
password dialogs when I have too many concurrent IMAP sessions open to
an account. This is unlikely to happen with MailMate alone and a normal
config, but if you have multiple devices and/or multiple IMAP clients
and/or have used the MM 'hiddden' setting that can increase the
concurrency, you can get too many connections open.

The Activity Log should show the full error message from the IMAP server
when authentication fails, which MAY provide more details about what is
happening in your case.

> My other mail access is via Apple Mail app on my iPhone. This never
> gives trouble with these same accounts. (Both the Mac and iPhone use
> the same network broadband connection when these issues occur—the
> Mac via Ethernet and iPhone via WiFi.)
>
> Why does Mailmate give me grief when the  iPhone does not?

Probably because MM manages up to 3 (by default) connections
simultaneously per account and closes them when they are not in use.
This means MM does more logins than a client that uses only one
persistent connection that is kept in IDLE mode most of the time.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire