[MlMt] error "Mailbox unexpectedly already exists"

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 11:31:40 EDT 2019

I tried to clean up some of my Gmail labels in this account, and
obviously messed something up, because  MailMate keeps popping up the
following message:

MailMate encountered the following error: “Mailbox unexpectedly
already exists. Command: 'I6 CREATE "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"'.”.

Mailbox: “[Gmail]/Sent Mail”.

with options of "retry", "take account offline," and "try again later."
I've been clicking the latter.

I tried going back to my Gmail "manage labels" page on the Web at
mail.google.com and deleting the "[Gmail]/Sent Mail" label (which never
has any messages in it anyway), but that doesn't stop the error message
from appearing, and when I check, the label has reappeared in Gmail's
Web access.

When I look at the [Gmail]/Sent Mail mailbox for this account in
MailMate, it's greyed out and marked "(failed)", and MailMate reports
about 600 messages in it, even though Gmail looked at through Web access
says the label has 0 messages.

My other Gmail account also has a "[Gmail]/Sent Mail" mailbox in
MailMate, but it's greyed out and marked "(offline)". I tried taking the
"[Gmail]/Sent Mail" mailbox that's throwing an error offline as well,
and the attempt failed with the same "mailbox unexpectedly already
exists" error.

The mailing list archive includes a message from Sherman Wilcox this
past March who had the same problem, and Benny said "this was solved off
list. It was related to the Archive mailbox somehow having become
unsubscribed (client side) and MailMate did not handle this well." But
MailMate's Archive mailbox for this account seems fine -- I don't use it
and there's nothing in it, but it's not greyed out or offline or
anything.

Can anyone advise? I promise I'll never try to tidy up Gmail again...

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com