[MlMt] MailMate slowness?!

Angelo Machils angelo at machils.org
Mon Oct 14 09:54:10 EDT 2019

Hello

On 14 Oct 2019, at 16:40, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2019, at 10:57, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:
>
>> Angelo Machils via mailmate 2019-10-12 8:20 wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a secondhand MB Air (2015) and of course installed
>>> MailMate. I have had a (very) similar machine before, but I can’t
>>> really remember if MailMate was so slow on that as well.
> I have a very similar setup except mine's an early 2013 MBP, and I
> have also noticed some slowness ever since I upgraded from El Capitan
> to Mojave.  The first time I launched MailMate after the OS upgrade, I
> saw spinning beachballs at startup and the first few times I opened
> smart mailboxes, but since then it's settled into being poky but not
> beachbally.
>
> I assumed it was because I'm storing just over 283,200 messages in
> total, but based on this thread, maybe there's more to it than that.
> I see the most slowness in rendering the message view as I navigate
> from message to message in my main smartbox, and in opening the reply
> window for any message with more than a couple of layers of nested
> quotes (people at work just will not give up the top-reply format).

My email number is nowhere near such an amount (about 2000 in total
across 3 different G Suite/Gmail accounts). I have set everything now to
‘plain text’, so no MD preview and the reply just plain text, but
alas, no change. Even without the preview, I type faster than I’m
seeing the characters appear. It’s also not like the message I’m
replying to is so large. It’s not like it’s unworkable, but it’s
also far from pleasant :)
Updating to the latest beta release (5656) from the latest stable (5655
I think) also doesn’t change anything.

Regards,

Angelo Machils