[MlMt] Problem with Exchange imap

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Oct 9 09:00:17 EDT 2019

On 9 Oct 2019, at 2:14, Stephan Bösebeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I love using Mailmate, and I also use it at work. Unfortunately there
> we only have an Exchange as Email system. Sind the last exchange
> update, everything worked awsomely. But now, the connection to the
> server just times out, more or less. It keeps "doodeling" for ages,
> not updating. The Activity log is more or less empty:
>
> ```
> 06:05:01 Running action
> 06:05:01 Sending request (195402)
> 06:05:01 Handling request
> 06:05:01 Clearing connection to EXCHANGESERVER
> 06:05:01 Ready to run action (retry count: 0)
> 06:05:01 Clearing connection to EXCHANGESERVER
> 06:05:01 Trying to connect to EXCHANGESERVER on port 143 (CFNetwork)
> with STARTTLS (required)
> 06:05:01 Resolved hostname (EXCHANGESERVER).
> 06:05:01 Successful connection.
> 06:05:01 Error: Reading ended without error.
> 06:05:01 S: <<< terminated reading >>>
> 06:05:01 Error code: 10
> 06:05:01 Failed action (1000). Reset observed read/write timeouts: 8/8
>
> 06:05:01 Handling reply
> ```
>
> the termination took place when I manually hit the "synchronize"
> button.

This looks like a known problem with Exchange. The 'proxy' components
that give standard protocol interfaces to Exchange get disabled during
updates and have to be re-enabled manually.  Nothing you can do on your
end will fix it, you must get your Exchange admin to fix it.

Point them at
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025138/users-cannot-connect-to-pop3-or-imap4-on-exchange-server-2013-or-excha

Note that I am *NOT* an Exchange expert, this is just an issue I've
helped users and their Exchange admins resolve. There are other possible
causes of the same symptom from the client side (silent connect & rapid
drop) but when it correlates to an Exchange update, Exchange has to be
the prime suspect.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org