[MlMt] Is this MM or the reciever?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed May 22 12:41:43 EDT 2019

On 22 May 2019, at 10:02, Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

> I got this bounce back
>
> andrea at andreapluhar.com>: host mail.andreapluhar.com[162.215.248.172]
> said:
>     550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or
> login to the
>     550-IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message.
>     550-st43p00im-ztdg10073201.me.com [17.58.63.177]:59104 is not
> permitted to
>     550 relay through this server without authentication. (in reply to
> RCPT TO
>     command)
>
> I do have SMTP authentication on.

This looks like a record of an unsuccessful SMTP conversation between an
Apple mail system (hostname st43p00im-ztdg10073201.me.com, IP
17.58.63.177) and a server it is calling mail.andreapluhar.com at IP
162.215.248.172 (whose proper name is shared34.accountservergroup.com.)
The Apple mail system was apparently attempting to send a message to
andrea at andreapluhar.com, an address which the receiving server did not
consider local. Generally speaking, mail servers do not accept email
which they would need to  relay to another system except for
authenticated clients.

Full raw headers of the bounce and the original message that should have
been returned as an attachment to the bounce would help in figuring out
WHY that transaction was attempted. My ***GUESS*** is that you sent mail
using an iCloud account (or to an iCloud account which is configured to
forward mail) to andrea at andreapluhar.com, but that the mail system which
was supposedly responsible for handling mail for the andreapluhar.com
domain at that time (i.e. according to DNS) was not configured to
perform that handling.

Interestingly, the DNS for andreapluhar.com right now directs mail to a
different host on the same network, using a technically improper
mechanism (it's a bit down in the tech weeds: the MX record points to an
alias rather than a name with an A record...)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire