[MlMt] Notes on latest test release and Gmail OAuth application verification

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Thu May 2 18:47:30 EDT 2019

On 2 May 2019, at 6:01, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Being able to block images by default is an absolute requirement for
> me and I suspect for others.
> It's not just a huge privacy issue, it's an important part of
> anti-spam defenses: spammers (and other
> marketers) monitor remote image loading to see if the message was
> read.
>
> Now, if it's only for older releases of MacOS I don't care, since all
> of my systems run 10.14 Mojave.
> But there are other people who share my concerns who do run older
> releases, often because their
> hardware is too old for Mojave.

It sounds to me that it is possible that current releases of MailMate
would only support image blocking on High Sierra (10.13) or above, which
should be a smaller set than if it was Mojave (10.14) and above.  For
anyone on Sierra (10.12) or older, they could stick with an older
version of MailMate and retain image blocking.

I kept my laptop on 10.6.8 for many years specifically so I could keep
using Mac Eudora.

--Randall