[MlMt] Trouble with signatures based on history

Mon Jun 24 04:44:30 EDT 2019

On 12 Jun 2019, at 9:54, leo wrote:

> I have similar problems with signatures: I set up signatures with
> defined addresses, but — particularly when I reply — to one of
> those addresses, the signature doesn’t seem to be inserted.

If you mean the address-option (for each signature) in the Signatures
preferences pane then you have misunderstood the feature. This list of
addresses can be used to lock a signature to specific identities (your
identities), e.g., to make sure that a business signature is only used
(available in the composer) when sending from your business email
address.

> Clarification on how automagical insertion of signatures is ought to
> work would be greatly appreciated…

It is described here, but it was written before the “addresses”
feature was added: https://manual.mailmate-app.com/compose#signatures

> On 12 Jun 2019, at 6:06, Adam Liter wrote:
>
>> However, MailMate tries to sign every email that I write, even if
>> I've not used a signature for that recipient in the past.

As described in the manual, the fallback is MailMate trying to determine
what you most often do when an explicit choice does not exist. The
reason it might give a different result on two different machines is
that MailMate can only look at the previous choices done on the same
machine (since the choice is currently only saved locally).

>> Any recommendations of how to debug this or what to do to fix it?

If you need a clean start then you can always use “Reset Usage
History” in the Signatures preferences pane.