[MlMt] Trouble with signatures based on history

Adam Liter io at adamliter.org
Tue Jul 9 09:52:39 EDT 2019

Hi Benny,

I've just realized what the difference is. On the one computer where the
feature works as intended, there was a period of time where I had no
signatures configured, so I think MailMate treated my default signature
as "No signature" because of that.

On my newer computer, where I've always had signatures configured,
MailMate was *always* trying to insert a signature, despite the fact
that there were many previous emails where I had not used a signature
*on that computer*.

And so I was expecting the default to be "No signature", in accordance
with the documentation that you linked to:

> In MailMate, the choice of default signature is based on the main
> recipient of the email rather than the account/identity used. MailMate
> looks for the most recent email to the same recipient and reuses the
> choice of signature.

However, I realized that the problem is that I never actually select "No
signature" from the dropdown "Signature" menu in the composer. Instead,
I usually just delete the signature manually, and so it seems that
MailMate does not actually register that as sending an email with no
signature, so future emails are still populated with a default
signature, even though I have sent many emails without a signature to
that recipient on that computer.

I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior? I'm not sure how hard it
would be to detect if the user has manually deleted the signature rather
than selecting "No signature" from the dropdown menu.

Anyway, thanks for the response and for the great email client!

-- Adam