[MlMt] Installing gpg2 via homebrew?

leo mailmate at halloleo.hailmail.net
Sun Jan 27 20:08:52 EST 2019

Subject: Re: [MlMt] Installing gpg2 via homebrew?
Date: 24 January 2019 at 23:13

> > I just switched the MailMate list delivery to digest – and now I
> get in MailMate a complaint about gpg2 which I do not have installed.

> There's a known bug which can make this appear even if you have not
> enabled OpenPGP in the Security preferences pane. This might have been
> triggered here too.

Thanks for this detail!

Indeed, I do *not* have ticked OpenPGP (on none of my computers).
Strange thing is, that it happens only on my laptop with High Sierra,
while on the iMac with El Capitan I do not get the warning.

> > The Help pages say I should install it via the GPGTools, but
> whenever possible I try to install command line tools via Homebrew.
> brew lists a gpg2 formula as installable – is this save to use for
> MailMate? Do I have to hint to MailMate somehow where the tool is
> installed?

> I believe it works, but currently you have to symlink the path
> MailMate expects to find gpg2 (/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/gpg2). Some day
> I'll make this more flexible.

How about setting the hidden preference for the path like mentioned on
this list in 2015?:

```
defaults write com.freron.MailMate environmentVariables -array '{
enabled =
:true;  name = "MM_GPG"; value = "/usr/local/bin/gpg2"; }'
```