[MlMt] Mailbox count = Recent

Fri Jan 11 09:42:06 EST 2019

On 26 Dec 2018, at 17:32, Randall Gellens wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2018, at 6:38, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>> On 25 Dec 2018, at 22:13, Randall Gellens wrote:
>>
>>> When the displayed count for a mailbox is "Recent," what does MM
>>> count?

It counts emails having the IMAP `\Recent` flag. This is not as useful
as it might seem to be.

>>> I would like to suggest that there be an option for the count to be
>>> "Unread messages that have arrived in the past [count] [unit]" where
>>> count and unit are settings (global or per-account or per-mailbox).
>>> For example, setting count to 7 and unit to days would count unread
>>> messages that arrived in the past week.
>>>
>> I use a smart folder for recent unread messages.
>
> Sure, I could do that, and I can see that being especially useful in
> certain cases, but to do that universally would mean twice as many
> mailboxes as I now have, and also mentally ignoring every actual
> mailbox and only paying attention to the smart mailboxes.  Since MM
> has a count and allows changing what the count is counting, it seems
> reasonable to request that it count unread "recent" for reasonable
> values of "recent."

I believe I understand what you would like to do. I'm going to consider
it a request for something more general, that is, being able to define
custom counters (low-level I actually think this is already possible).

Maybe the most “intuitive” way would be to have a menu item in the
Displayed Count allowing one to count whatever intersects with some
other mailbox. For example:

	Displayed Count ▸ ...
                       Also in Mailbox ▸ ...

That would allow you to use any smart mailbox you have defined.