[MlMt] Second attachments folder

Tobias Jung nd at tobiasjung.net
Sun Jan 6 08:57:27 EST 2019

Hello,

I’ve been working with MailMate for almost a year now…
and yesterday, I saw something I wasn’t aware of before. *blush*

In MailMate’s preferences I’ve set the "Default Downloads Folder" to
~/Attachments-MailMate/

And yesterday, I saw that there’s *another* folder which contained
almost all the attachments I’ve received, namely
~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Attachments

I searched the manual for this, but if it’s explained somewhere, I
didn’t find it.
So I tested a bit and my conclusion are:

– The attachments are saved to the folder in the Library when you hit
the "QuickLook" button in the message to display a attachment.
– They are deleted again from this folder when you delete the message
that contained the attachment.

Are the conclusions correct?
Are there any other circumstances under which the attachments get
deleted from the folder in the Library?
Can it have any negative side effects if I deleted files from that
folder manually?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about anything, I just like
to understand what’s going on on my harddisk. ;-)
Moreover, since the attachments are stored in the message (.eml) file
anyway, I don’t see why they should take up space on my disk another
time, so from time to time I might remove them from the Library IF this
doesn’t cause any trouble and of they aren’t purged from that folder
automatically at some point anyway (i.e. even if I don’t delete the
message itself).

I’m working with MailMate 1.12.3 (5579) on El Capitan.

Kind regards,
Tobias