[MlMt] ClamXAV warning / DarthMiner in ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Database.noindex/Headers/#quoted.cache

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 2 19:54:08 EST 2019

On 2 Feb 2019, at 10:01, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Hi, I got a warning today from ClamXAV about DarthMiner in the above
> file. And ClamXAV moved the file into quarantine.
>
> Anybody any idea how this can happen?

I would hope that since the people who make ClamXAV charge a
subscription for their malware pattern database, they would be able to
explain their product's behavior to users. You should be able to get a
firm answer from them.

My GUESS is that this is a false positive. For most people using macOS,
using an "anti-virus" tool in an active mode presents a greater risk for
destructive behavior due to false positives (e.g. quarantining files
without warning) than they would be due to actual malware. According to
the descriptions I've seen of the "DarthMiner" malware it is distributed
as a fake software piracy tool, so avoiding an actual infection is a
trivial matter.

> What the file contains?

~/Library/Application\
Support/MailMate/Database.noindex/Headers/#quoted.cache contains a cache
of quoted body text from your emails. It is part of MailMate's search
system. Moving it may or may not do permanent damage, depending on what
has been done since the move.

> How to best proceed now?

0. Fix your ClamXAV configuration to never move or delete files without
asking for permission.
1. Quit MailMate
2. Check if MailMate has created a replacement for the file. If it has,
your index database is probably not valid and should be rebuilt from the
actual messages. See the MM documentation for how to force a rebuild.
3. Check the last change time of the quarantined file. If it was last
changed when you quit MM, it may be fine: just move it back to where it
belongs. If the last change time is before it was quarantined, it is
probably stale and therefore worthless: rebuild the database.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org