[MlMt] Handling project-based e-mails

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Dec 19 13:52:45 EST 2019

Hi,

to some extent this rehashes some of a discussion I had in October when
I first started using MailMate. I have several e-mail accounts for
completely different tasks and I don't use e-mail exclusively to look at
my e-mail. As a result I'd like to be able to move or hide e-mail from
the relevant inboxes of my accounts to dedicated folders.

Now, I've been using variants of Smart Mailboxes for years, and they're
one of the reasons I've started using MailMate but, I can't seem to be
able set them up to work as I would like, or as I'm used to. I'm sure
I'm not the only one in this position so I'm open to advice.

For example, I have an open source project (openpyxl if anyone's
interested) that receives e-mail from a mailing list but also bug
reports, CI reports, pull requests and relevant e-mail from the working
group, ie. a very heterogeneous set of mails that I would like to be
able to group in folders in one folder. I've managed to create a generic
folder by adding a smart mailbox and removing all criteria. I can then
put my defined smart mailboxes in this folder. But I have no easy way of
tagging all the relevant e-mails so that I can set an ignore flag for
them in the relevant account inbox. Instead I set the same rule for each
smart mailbox to tag the e-mails and I have a filter for this tag on the
account inbox. This works fine but is somewhat cumbersome, certainly
more so than the way I used to do this in Opera Mail, which had handy
options for ignoring things like mailing lists in views.

I'd like to be able to set up something similar for a customer project
where I could have a general filter for the company name, smart
mailboxes for individual contacts and some more smart mailboxes for
system notifications (task assignments, document updates, etc.). And
before I embark on the same approach I've adopted with openpyxl I think
I must be missing something obvious!

If there is one, and preferably only one, obvious way to do this then
I'm all ears and I also think it would be an excellent addition to the
documentation, which would then be a great advert for the program.

One thing I know I'll probably have to do is use IMAP folders if I want
to keep my inbox clean in other mail programs (currently FairMail for
Android), but that's not a huge problem.

Thanks for your suggestions! Preferably in the form of a how-to that we
might add to the docs.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark