[MlMt] Adding header fields to message view (was " attachment in headers display")

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Wed Apr 24 18:30:50 EDT 2019

On 24 Apr 2019, at 9:36, Michael Nietzold wrote:

> Since i Like to have the "source mailbox" as row in the header section
> of a message:
>
> To combine both ideas it would be nice to have a generic setting for
> additional header rows where a user can add one or more rows with
> meta data from the message (or some of the possible calculations)
>
> Von meinem iDingens gesendet...

Eudora for Mac took the opposite approach: it defined a set of "boring"
header fields that it omitted from the message view.  A message could
always be viewed in raw form, which Eudora called "Blah Blah Blah" which
would show everything.  The set of boring header fields was available
after enabling the "Esoteric Settings" option, which caused a preference
pane called "Boring Headers" to be available.  This was a list of header
field prefixes, one per line, that Eudora would omit from a message
display (except in "Blah Blah Blah" view).  Header fields not in the
list were displayed.

It would be good if MailMate had a UI mechanism for choosing which
header fields are displayed in message views.

(By the way, Eudora had a large set of hidden preferences that were not
part of the primary UI, but could be edited by use of the
"X-Eudora-Setting" URI. You'd have the string <x-eudora-setting:xxx>
where "xxx" was the setting number to change somewhere in a Eudora
message (you could type it in to a composition window or have it saved
as a stationery or send it to yourself -- I had a stationery (permanent
draft message) with the full list) and Eudora would recognize it as a
clickable URI.  Clicking it brought up a primitive control that listed a
brief text description of the setting, showed the current value, and let
you set a new value.  It was a serviceable kluge allowing end users to
change hidden settings without risk of messing up a critical file.  For
the full list, see:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050924173435/www.eudora.com/techsupport/mac/download/X-Eudora-Settings.txt)

--Randall