[MlMt] Ignore or fix Runbox marking email as spam

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Apr 14 23:27:08 EDT 2019

On 14 Apr 2019, at 17:33, Ron Britton wrote:

> MailMate is perpetually putting emails from certain senders into the
> Junk folder.

No, it is not. MailMate does not do that unless you have rules to do so
or SpamSieve installed.

> No matter how many times I click "Move Out of Junk", it doesn't learn
> and keeps doing this. I do not have SpamSieve enabled or mailbox rules
> enabled.

So something else is doing the move. If you run some other mail software
accessing the same IMAP account, that would be the top suspect. If not,
your IMAP provider may be doing this on its own, delivering what it sees
as spam into the Junk folder automatically.

MailMate does not have any "learning" mechanism of its own,

> I finally looked at the raw source file of one of these emails and
> discovered that Runbox is flagging these.

You are getting IMAP service from Runbox, I assume. They are almost
certainly delivering mail that their filtering software (SpamAssassin,
an Apache project to which I am an active contributor) marks as spam
directly to the Junk folder.

> Here's an excerpt:

> *      headers
> *  0.0 DKIM_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED No valid author signature, adsp_override
> *      is CUSTOM_MED
> *  0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
> *      provider ([redacted][at]gmail.com)
> *  1.1 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
> *  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
> *  0.6 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG HTML-only message, but there is no HTML
> *      tag
> *  1.0 KAM_LAZY_DOMAIN_SECURITY Sending domain does not have any
> *      anti-forgery methods
> *  1.2 NML_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED ADSP custom_med hit, and not from a mailing
> *       list
> *  1.3 TO_NO_BRKTS_HTML_ONLY To: lacks brackets and HTML only
>
> What is the easiest and/or best fix for this problem?

There are 2 issues here:

1. The message is being marked as spam. I'll take your word that it is
not spam, but that set of SpamAssassin rule hits indicates real
technical problems with the mail that the sender should fix if they want
their mail to not land in junk folders. With that said, it also seems
that Runbox has made unwise SA configuration choices and SA may be
overscoring some rules by default.

2. Something is putting the message into the Junk folder. This is
probably Runbox but it also could be another mail client, if you use
another mail client. In either case, it is likely that the high
SpamAssassin score is the basis for putting the message in the Junk
folder.

I think you need to look to Runbox to help you.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org