[MlMt] Sign by default Based on history not working?

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:29:54 EDT 2019

On 16 Jan 2019, at 3:59, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2019, at 16:34, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jan 2019, at 9:19, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think I've changed anything. “Based on History” looks at
>>> the latest email sent to the same recipient. There's currently no
>>> fallback for this.
>>
>> Hmm, basing the heuristic on a specific recipient seems more useful
>> for the 'encrypt' setting (where I need to have their public key)
>> than for the 'sign' setting.  Why wouldn't I want to sign all my
>> messages for an account where I have a signing cert?
>
> Which is what the “sign always” setting gives you in the Security
> preferences pane.

Yes, but that's a global setting, which causes me all kinds of grief if
I set it as I don't have email signing certs for all my accounts.

> But I'm not saying it couldn't be more flexible.
>
>> Perhaps another approach would be to make the sign settings be per
>> account (or have an option under "Sign by default" of "Based on
>> account"?  I work in a company of over 100,000 employees, and I want
>> mail I send on my work account to any of them to be signed.
>> Conversely, I have no signing cert for my gmail account, so I never
>> want MM to try to sign those messages.
>
> Yes, that kind of flexibility would be nice.

I'm replying now because I just got bit by this inconsistency again.
This to me is a bug, so I'm asking if you can please consider some kind
of fix sooner rather than later?

Thanks!

-Eric