[MlMt] Finger slip deleted a mailbox - how recover?

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Mon Apr 1 18:37:29 EDT 2019

On 1 Apr 2019, at 4:58, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2019, at 0:37, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> I wonder if an alternative approach might be worth considering.  For
>> example, instead of nagging with an "Are you sure?" prompt, perhaps
>> keep a list of "recent" mailbox renames, and make that a pane that
>> can be viewed.  That would allow users to undo or re-rename a
>> mailbox.
>
> If going that way, it would be easier to simply support regular undo
> for mailbox renaming.

That would work, as long as the person realized it fairly soon.  A
downside is that the person might not realize until too late.  The nice
thing is that it is more intuitive than a pane of recent renames.

> RENAME is used for simple rename cases, but the fallback is
> create+append equivalent to moving between accounts.

What makes a rename simple vs not simple?  (I've manually renamed
mailboxes to change their position in the hierarchy, e.g., A1 RENAME
"FOO" "BAR/FOO").

> Improving this is not straightforward, but when/if I do I've noted to
> also add undo/redo.

Sounds good.

--Randall