[MlMt] mailbox in a read-only state

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Sep 26 21:46:25 EDT 2018

On 26 Sep 2018, at 20:50 (-0400), Mark Allman wrote:

> Today I started getting a dialog box in MailMate (latest version)
> that says:
>
>>> MailMate encountered the following error: “Mailbox is in a “read
>>> only” state.”. Mailbox: “Mail/Sent Messages”.
>
> I hit "try later" a number of times, but seemingly writing to the
> "Sent Messages" folder always seems to fail.  I popped over to the
> IMAP server [*] and looked at the "Mail/Sent Messages" file and it
> is writable by me.  What does this mean and how can I change the
> state of this mailbox?  Ideas?

If you open the Activity Viewer window and try again, you can capture a
verbatim log of the IMAP session, which MAY give more details. Or it may
not...

In any case, this is almost certainly not a problem that is
MailMate-dependent. It also is likely to not be a simple matter of
filesystem permissions on a visible file or directory that you can see
from a mount elsewhere. Once you have a verbatim log of the IMAP
exchange (i.e. precisely what the IMAP server is saying to MailMate
about that mailbox) you will probably need to use that with whoever
supports your IMAP server.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org