[MlMt] question about Message-ID based threading

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:29:40 EDT 2018

On 13 Sep 2018, at 5:31, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2018, at 1:01, Chris Newman wrote:
>
>> On 6 Sep 2018, at 0:24, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> I would claim that is a bug, but that's not something I can do
>>> anything about (other than trying to work around it when threading
>>> is more flexible).
>>
>> The THREAD=REFERENCES algorithm in RFC 5256 handles this case (by
>> using a dummy message in the thread tree). This scenario also happens
>> if the thread's root message is expunged and there are two messages
>> with In-Reply-To/References to only that root message. I think a
>> threading algorithm is better if it handles this case as users
>> expect.
>
> Agreed. But that's not the main problem in MailMate. The main problem
> is that MailMate has no way of grouping emails without the parent
> message. MailMate only shows parent/child relationships.
>
> When MailMate can group emails in a different way then I'll look into
> also making such emails part of the same group (which wouldn't happen
> now).

Please add my vote for a more "inclusive" grouping behavior for threads
in MailMate.  The strict parent/child relationship implementation is
really suboptimal.  This is one of the very few areas where Mail.app
does it better IMO.

And you already have the logic implemented!  I use the "Thread Arcs"
layout and what would be great is having all the messages in the same
"thread arc" grouped for viewing.

Thanks.

-Eric