[MlMt] SPAM on iPhone

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Oct 4 11:20:14 EDT 2018

On 4 Oct 2018, at 10:22, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2018, at 12:00, Philip Paeps wrote:
[...]
>> The only way to make this work reliably is to filter serverside.
>
> I didn't think seriously about this because I didn't have the problem
> and SpamSieve was more than enough… but now I should probably
> reconsider.
> How does this work?
> Is this something that my ISP / domain-provider has to switch on or is
> it something I should install server-side?

It varies widely. The general rule is that server-side filtering has to
be made available by whoever administers your MTA and/or your IMAP
server. How you interact with it is an "implementation-specific"
detail...

Typically, server-side filtering of mail into various IMAP mailboxes is
done at delivery time so if it is available, it is a function of the
delivery agent that operates between the SMTP server that accepts the
mail and the mailstore from which the IMAP server serves it to you. If
you have a shell login on your mail server, you may have the option of
using "procmail" which is one of the oldest and still most widely used
filtering tools, despite it having been abandoned in disgust and shame
by its own creator many years ago. A more modern possibility is an
implementation of the Sieve filtering language, often remotely
manageable via a web interface or a ManageSieve (RFC 5804)
implementation. Some providers (e.g. GMail, Office365) offer their own
server-side filtering tools accessed through their web interfaces.