[MlMt] Feature request: "Reset/Delete 'High Priority' Flag"

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Nov 14 09:52:34 EST 2018

On 13 Nov 2018, at 13:38, TJ Luoma wrote:

> We all know these folks… they may be friends, loved one, or even
> co-workers… but there are just some people who seem unable to send
> out
> an email without labelling it as HIGH PRIORITY.
>
> Of course, that almost instantly makes their messages seem _not_ high
> priority, because if everything is an emergency, then nothing really
> is.
>
> I would love it if MailMate could allow me to turn off the HIGH
> PRIORITY flag in emails that I receive which I deem to be not HIGH
> PRIORITY.
>
> I don't want to turn off the entire column because I do sometimes use
> regular flags to highlight messages.

I agree completely, and I hope Benny comes up with an implementation.

However, there is a quirk with this misfeature of email which explains
why changing the "Priority" isn't universally implemented: it is not an
IMAP keyword (which would be a local receiver-set value.) Instead, it is
set by the sender adding one or more non-standard headers: X-Priority,
Priority, X-Importance, Importance, or X-MSMail-Priority. I don't know
which of these MailMate specifically honors but they all share the same
problem: as headers they are an internal part of the delivered message,
which an IMAP server must never modify.

So, unsetting the 'Priority' requires the IMAP client (MailMate) to
reconstruct the message without whichever header(s) it is honoring and
store it and then to delete the original. This means the client has to
do more housekeeping on the state of a message and it means that other
clients could catch the server in a state where both messages exist.