[MlMt] unexpected inbox zero

Mon Nov 5 10:14:58 EST 2018

On 5 Nov 2018, at 10:44, Andrey Ustyuzhanin wrote:

>> I have a strange behaviour of mailmate (r5552). At some point today
>> the inbox start showing 0 messages, and believe me, it is not due my
>> zero-inbox skills. If I login to gmail or another accounts via web, I
>> see inbox messages there. Extremely confusing.. Mailbox restart
>> doesn’t help. Any quick ideas?
>
> an update - all the mail is there, but indeed it is just
> ‘archived’… so two questions:
> - is there any way to pull it back to inbox systematically?

IMAP does not keep information about the previous location of emails.
*If* MailMate was responsible for moving them then it actually does
remember it locally, but this is not easily utilized for moving them
back (but that is something I could look into). If the previous location
was Inbox for all of them then it doesn't matter much.

Hmm, it does give me an idea on how MailMate could make the
“history” of moving messages available to the user, but that won't
help you right now.

> - is it possible to understand the reason for such a glitch and avoid
> it in the future?

To learn more then I'll need to know that you can either reproduce the
issue or that it happens so often that it makes sense to make debug code
for it. Right now I don't have reports about any similar issues, but
given the recent update of MailMate that might change soon.

I see that Bill also posted some ideas for what might have happened.