[MlMt] Mailmate changing dates

Enrico Thierbach eno at open-lab.org
Thu Mar 22 14:56:50 EDT 2018

On 22 Mar 2018, at 19:43, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 13:53, Enrico Thierbach wrote:
>
>> Hi lists, hi Benny,
>>
>> I just had an understandable, but unexpectedly weird behaviour.
>>
>> If I send out a markdown email with
>>
>>     - 4. 4. 2018
>>     - 5. 4. 2018
>>
>> (some) recipients receive
>>
>>     - 1. 4. 2018
>>     - 2. 4. 2018
>>
>> This is in accordance with Markdown, but is of course surprising. I
>> think Mailmate could do quite well without auto-numbering list
>> entries.
>
> I can't reproduce this, since those lines generate an unordered list
> for me, with the first numbers as literals in the content of the <li>
> tags. However, I'm fairly sure that MailMate isn't auto-numbering list
> entries. The evidence for this is that only "some" recipients see the
> wrong numbers. When MM generates an HTML ordered list from Markdown,
> it uses a "value" attribute in each <li> tag to set the label. It
> *may* be that the minor error in that HTML (no double-quotes, i.e.
> '<li value=4>' instead of '<li value="4">') is confusing some mail
> clients, causing them to ignore all the value attributes.

“(some)” recipients meant I wrote this email to exactly one
recipient, but I didn’t test this against other recipients so far. So
I can’t state “all” recipients :)

I just revisited the email I sent out, and this is what I entered (or at
least what I can see in the “Sent Emails” mailbox)

```
Sollte das nicht möglich sein, kann ich folgende Alternativen anbieten:

4. 4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr
5. 4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr

Danke!
```

I also checked the raw email “View > Show raw message”, and what I
saw looks pretty much fine:

```
--=_MailMate_43543820-0210-4646-A9FC-F122C91A1657_=

[ ... ]
Sollte das nicht möglich sein, kann ich folgende Alternativen anbieten:

4. 4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr
5. 4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr

[ ... ]

--=_MailMate_43543820-0210-4646-A9FC-F122C91A1657_=

[ ... ]

Alt=
ernativen anbieten:</p>

<ol>
<li value=3D"4">4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr </li>
<li value=3D"5">4. 9:00 - 12 Uhr </li>
</ol>

[ ... ]
```

I resent this email to me (Edit as New) and it looks fine in both
Mailmate and in the googlemail web client; however, the recipient
received

![](cid:2836FF50-3853-40B3-8D3B-2736C8CB2CA4 at open-lab.org "image.png")

It might be a problem with their client.

Best,
/e