[MlMt] due dates?

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:35:00 EDT 2018

On 22 Mar 2018, at 8:39, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2018, at 14:16, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> FWIW, MailTags accomplishes this by adding a X-MailTag-*** header to
>> the message, containing the date in JSON-formatted notation.  This is
>> usually preserved by the server, making it visible to multiple
>> clients.  I suppose IMAP keywords could also be used, but MailTags
>> chose not to use that for any of its implementation (even its tags
>> don't use IMAP tags).
>
> It's an understandable design choice, but the problem is that the
> email format (and IMAP) was not designed for this. An email is read
> only. Changing a single header requires re-uploading the entire email.
> Given how often tags might be altered then this could be extremely
> inefficient for large emails. Due dates are perhaps a bit less
> frequently used, but it's still not a very satisfactory solution.

Good point, and this is actually one of the reasons I became
dissatisfied with MailTags (the other was it's being built on top of
Mail.app!); it hammered our already overloaded corporate IMAP server
causing strange side effects like duplicate and ghost messages.

But perhaps it could be accomplished via specially formatted IMAP
keywords that look acceptable to IMAP but can be parsed as dates by MM?

-Eric