[MlMt] Changing the quoted line character.

Mon Mar 19 06:44:08 EDT 2018

On 17 Mar 2018, at 0:23, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:

> I was certain this was discussed in the past, but, I couldn't find it
> in the mail archives anywhere, nor the hidden preferences.

There is no preference to change the use of `>` in the plain text part
of emails. This is because it would be very wrong to do that.

> One of the (infinite) infuriating things about Outlook seems to be
> that when it receives email where quoted lines in replies are prefaced
> with ">" it will effectively ignore the characters and only create a
> mild indentation on the screen of the unfortunate Outlook user.

I don't think that happens if you send a plain text email. The problem
is likely that Outlook has problem with the HTML generated by MailMate.

> Is there a way to change this in MailMate so that some other
> symbol/character is used?  I think that the HTML composer uses
> something that looks like a |, which would probably be okay.
>
> In manual testing, Outlook actually displayed that character, which is
> good.

It's not a character in MailMate. It's just the styling (CSS) of a
“blockquote”.

> Just wondering what the best way is of maintaining proper inline
> quotation, which renders sanely.

We should perhaps check that MailMate sends styled HTML when you test
this. You can forward me one of your sent messages using “Message ▸
Forward as Attachment” and I'll check it. (Check that you have a theme
specified for the “Default Theme” setting in the Composer
preferences pane.)

A more general problem is that it's very hard for me to test how other
email clients interpret the HTML generated by MailMate. Every time I
make a change then it works better in one email client and worse in some
other email client. For now, I've simply postponed changing themes until
I've convinced myself that I should pay for something like
[Litmus](https://litmus.com). It's a bit expensive when I know that I
would likely only use it a few times a year.

It's not unlikely that it's impossible to generate HTML which works well
for all email clients :-|