[MlMt] How to change key bindings in Composer window?

Mike Hucka mhucka at caltech.edu
Sun Jun 3 09:08:09 EDT 2018

Hi Benny,

Thanks for your reply, and investing the time to try the key
definitions!

I'm glad to report the mystery is now solved.  I've used the same key
bindings file for years and years, so I felt certain the syntax and
definitions had to be correct [1, 2].  When you said there was nothing
in MailMate that would override this, I started searching for other
possibilities and found the issue: I also use KeyboardMaestro, and some
time ago [3], had defined shortcuts to move me to the beginning and end
of the message list in MailMate -- using the same keys, because meta-<
and meta-> are the Emacs keys for "go to beginning of buffer" and "go to
end of buffer", and that was what made sense for my muscle memory.  The
KeyboardMaestro keys were overriding the MM keys.

Thanks again,
MH

[1] I use a largish key bindings file to implement Emacs-like keys in as
many application as I can.

[2] The use of parens around the key definitions seems to be a valid
alternative syntax. Thanks for pointing out the use of double quotes,
though; I did try that too just to make sure, before figuring out the KM
conflict.

[3] I had defined them when I first tried MM long ago and was back then
trying to adjust things to work for me, but I stopped for a while and
only recently picked up MM again and full converted to using it.  But of
course, I forgot what I had done in KM before.