[MlMt] How to change key bindings in Composer window?

Sat Jun 2 04:06:28 EDT 2018

On 31 May 2018, at 5:49, Mike Hucka wrote:

> I've been able to change my key bindings in many Mac applications by
> using a custom ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict file, but
> the bindings do not appear to have effect when editing new mail
> message text in the Composer window.  (Or at least, some of the key
> bindings do not work for me as expected.)

Hmm, that should work. I have some customizations to, e.g., write ⌘
and that works for me. For example:

~~~
{
	"^m" = {
		"^a"    = ("insertText:", "\U2318");  /* C-a     command (apple) */
	}
}
~~~

⌃m followed by ⌃a enters the ⌘-symbol.

> I know about, and already use, a MailMate key bindings definition file
> in ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Resources/KeyBindings/, and
> it does work -- for MailMate actions outside the Composer window.
>
> Is there a way to affect the key bindings in the editing panel of the
> Composer window?

If the keys are not swallowed by the NSTextView then MailMate key
bindings should work, but it can be tricky to find something which is
not swallowed. (I don't have much guidance for you on that.)