[MlMt] Attachments

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Mon Jul 16 14:54:29 EDT 2018

On 10 Jul 2018, at 6:05, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I won't be changing any of this before I completely replace the way
> non-inlined attachments are displayed (a proper non-HTML table view
> with columns which can optionally be put at the top/bottom of the
> message).

Eudora on the Mac had problems with attachments (mostly because it used
inode numbers to keep track of them, so anytime a disk was restored from
backup or cloned to a new machine, attachments were lost).  But there
were two things it did that I found quite handy: there was a table of
contents column that indicated if a message had attachments or not.  A
simple flag, but very nice when looking for a message where someone sent
me something.  The other thing it did was if you clicked on that column
of a message with one or more attachments, it popped up a context menu
listing them; clicking on one opened it.  This was in addition to the
usual display within a message view.  Both of these features were really
useful, and I'd like to suggest that you at least consider adding
something along these lines when you re-do attachments.

The other thing I'd like to suggest is a way to drag an attachment from
one draft to another.  Or, an option so that if the front-most window
happens to be a draft message and I ask an external program to send
something via MM, have it go into that draft instead of a new one.  (If
the front-most window isn't a draft, but anything else. have it go into
a new draft as currently.)  I find myself often with a draft about ready
to send but I need to attach something that's currently a view in
another program.  I could print to PDF and save that to /tmp and then
use MM to navigate to and attach it, but it'd be much easier if I could
instead tell the program to share via MM and have it go into the draft
I'm working on, or let me drag from the draft it ends up in to the one I
want it in.