[MlMt] Apply rules, which are defined elsewhere...

Tue Jul 10 09:00:45 EDT 2018

On 7 Jul 2018, at 2:45, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2018, at 15:53, Randall Meadows wrote:
>
>> I s'pose I could move them back into INBOX and then apply the rules,
>> but there's well over 16K messages in question, so this is not an
>> enticing idea, so say the least (my provider not be happy, either,
>> since they make great effort to keep the INBOX count at a very small
>> number).  Any other ideas (besides duplicating Rules all over the
>> place)?

A smart mailbox could be created which includes all of these mailboxes.
That way you only need 1 set of rules.

Moving to Inbox would also work if you take the accounts offline while
doing this (and move the emails back afterwards if the rules do not move
them). But I prefer the smart mailbox solution above.

> There's no other way that I see , I'm not even sure what such a
> functionality would look like.It seems to me it would require a
> different concept of how Rules work in MM...
>
> However, duplicating Rules is at least not as painful as it used to
> be, because in recent MM versions you can just select one or more in
> the Rules pane of INBOX (or wherever they are,) copy them, and paste
> them into another mailbox's Rules pane.

Drag'n'drop should also work.