[MlMt] Apply rules, which are defined elsewhere...

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Jul 6 20:45:54 EDT 2018

On 6 Jul 2018, at 15:53, Randall Meadows wrote:

> So, all the Rules I have to move received messages to their
> appropriate mailboxes are defined on INBOX for all my accounts.
>
> I have a large number of "archived" messages that don't live in INBOX
> that I'd like to apply said Rules to (as a result of trying to better
> organize my archived messages), but since said messages are not in
> INBOX but the Rules are, I'm unable to do so.
>
> I s'pose I could move them back into INBOX and then apply the rules,
> but there's well over 16K messages in question, so this is not an
> enticing idea, so say the least (my provider not be happy, either,
> since they make great effort to keep the INBOX count at a very small
> number).  Any other ideas (besides duplicating Rules all over the
> place)?

There's no other way that I see , I'm not even sure what such a
functionality would look like.It seems to me it would require a
different concept of how Rules work in MM...

However, duplicating Rules is at least not as painful as it used to be,
because in recent MM versions you can just select one or more in the
Rules pane of INBOX (or wherever they are,) copy them, and paste them
into another mailbox's Rules pane.