[MlMt] Keeps asking for mail.mac.com password

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Jan 22 10:01:26 EST 2018

On 18 Jan 2018, at 22:01 (-0500), Randall Gellens wrote:

> Mailmate keeps asking for my mail.mac.com password.  I created an
> app-specific one for it, entered it when creating the account earlier
> today, and checked "save in keychain."  Looking in the keychain, I see
> it.  However, MM has asked for it several times, saying it isn't in
> the keychain.  The existing keychain entry has modified time updated
> when I re-enter it.

Does it actually work when you enter it manually?

Apple's mail system has a history of authentication flakiness, with
periods where some nodes have required a bare username while others only
work with the full email address as username. Also, they have been
moving away from the mac.com domain for a while, and while I think
mail.mac.com should still work, it's fast-flux DNS via Akamai is much
faster (30s) than the {imap,smtp}.mail.me.com hostnames given at
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304 and that can cause glitches.

If authentication is reliably working when the password is entered
manually, this could be a problem with your keychain settings or the
specific keychain item. If you have your keychain set to lock after a
period of inactivity or when sleeping, an app like MM can misinterpret
the inability to access a keychain item as the item being gone or wrong
and not bother to recheck the item the next time it's needed. When the
machine wakes up and the keychain unlocked, the app tries to fix the
"bad" item with a new password.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org