[MlMt] Rules

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Fri Jan 19 09:05:33 EST 2018

Randall Gellens wrote (at 17:20 on 18 Jan 2018):

> However, what is the difference between the Conditions section and the
> conditions created in the Rules section?

The Conditions section affects what you see in the mailbox. For example,
I have a smart mailbox that includes every message that has "MailMate
Users" or "freron.com" somewhere in the To: field AND is not in the
Trash. When I click on it, I see all the messages to and from this list
or from Benny in one place.

The Rules section affects what happens to messages when they arrive in
the mailbox. The conditions there specify which messages these actions
should apply to. Rules (not Submailboxes) is where you control messages
being moved to other IMAP folders.

> I'm guessing Submailboxes lets you create default rules for either
> moving mail or virtual mailboxes, but I haven't tried it.

Submailboxes are like filters that show you only the messages in a
mailbox that meet the criteria. For example, the main Inbox folder may
have a submailbox for each account that you have, so that you can click
on a submailbox to see only the messages that are in the Inbox for each
account. The Mailings Lists smart folder has a submailbox for each
mailing list that you subscribe to.

> Also, what are the various specifiers for rule conditions (e.g.,
> 'Received' has six, one of which has two sub ones)?  I've been picking
> "No Specifier" but would like to what what they are.

I'm having trouble finding "Received," but in general, the various
specifiers are all the possible parts of an email message that are
specified by the official design documents (RFCs) for the email
standard. They are not well documented and that's something I've asked
about too.