[MlMt] forwarding HTML emails

Tracy Valleau tracy at dlsi.biz
Wed Jan 17 15:21:19 EST 2018

Thank you for your comments, Bill.

> Not if you're using the 2.0BETA series, which has a plethora of
> controls
> for perpetuating a bad idea in the Composer panel of the
> Preferences...

I really just wanted an answer, not a political comment on whether or
not HTML email is "a bad idea".
HTML email is -a reality- with which one must deal.

I started writing code in 1978, and was using email before most people
on this list were likely born. I'm not a big fan of HTML email myself,
but if I get one, and need to forward it to a client, then the client
should see what I saw, not an attachment.

Almost every other email client in the world does this.

>> If so, I'm curious as to why, technically. Since MM can show HTML
>> emails now,
>
> When couldn't it?

It couldn't in the first versions, when I started using it. (Mine was
order #63, Jan 12, 2011.)

> This is fundamentally problematic because "just forward them" does not
> have a well-defined technical meaning other than embedding the full
> original message as an attachment.

I was simplifying to express my request clearly.

HTML email is a few headers and HTML content. It is not any more complex
than a web page, basically.

The issue is that when forwarding, MM strips out all the HTML code. Try
viewing the source of an HTML email and you'll see what I mean.

My point is that the original source is IN the email,  else I'd not see
it all prettified, eh? So it's there.

Why not "just" forward ALL that original source? The head, the tables,
the divs, the body... That way  the recipient would see what I see.

I can understand not doing it for "political" reasons ("all email should
be text"). What I don't understand is why it isn't an option. Mail can
do it; Outlook can do it; Thunderbird can do it; PostBox can do it...

As a programmer with over 40 years of experience, I -can- understand
boxing one's self in to a point at which integrating the capability is a
huge amount of work. That would be a legitimate reason for not offering
it (albeit unfortunate.)

But from a USER perspective, not being able to "just forward" HTML email
is odd, and from a recipient's standpoint... well in my 4 decades, I've
-never- received an email that said "to see the html version, click on
the attachment."

Best wishes,

Tracy
www.valleau.art