[MlMt] How to edit recipients

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Tue Feb 27 13:05:50 EST 2018

On 20 Feb 2018, at 1:58, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 14:19, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> When composing a new message, MailMate shows each recipient as an
>> entity.  Is it possible to edit a recipient?
>
> Double-click or hit space when it's selected brings you into edit
> mode.
>
>> For example, if there is a typo in one?  Similarly, what is the best
>> way of selecting a recipient to delete or move to another field?
>
> Use the keyboard or the mouse to select 1 or more recipients and then
> use copy/paste or drag'n'drop.
>
>> On a more esoteric note, it would be nice if MM could normalize
>> recipients names that are in annoying Outlook format, e.g., change
>> 	“Bozo, Fred” <fred.bozo at example.com>
>> 	Fred Bozo <fred.bozo at example.com>
>
> MailMate cannot do this automatically. It's extremely hard
> (impossible?) to correctly identify the various parts of a “name”.
> Also, you have to assume that if your correspondent uses this format
> then it's probably what they prefer to see when they get a reply.

I disagree with this; I think in almost all cases, the recipient’s
client dictates how names are formatted.  E.g., I think Outlook imposes
the quote-last-comma-first-quote format.

> MailMate could display the names differently (without altering them
> when replying/forwarding), but I really mean it when I write that it's
> extremely hard to do this reliably :) As as simple example, someone
> might use this: "PhD Nielsen, Benny" and it would become "Benny PhD
> Nielsen".

I agree it’s likely impossible to have an algorithm that always does
the correct thing.  However, one that usually does the correct thing is
good enough.

As an aside, this “Outlook name conversion” was one of my favorite
features of Mac Eudora, because it made it much easier to read the
recipient lists.