[MlMt] Does MailMate mirror everything back to the server?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:36:48 EST 2018

> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Just mentioning the above as the powers of imap are varied but I
>> think you'll
>> find it beats any POP3 setup.
>
> I'm trying to keep an open mind.  Just because I've done things one
> way for 25
> years doesn't mean it's best (usually the opposite).
>
> I tried IMAP a couple of years ago, and I just wasn't happy having to
> go onto
> the server to get copies of emails I needed to look at again.
> MailMate would
> allow me to find it on my hard drive, but then why do I need a copy
> sitting up
> on the server?  This is obviously a philosophical question about
> approach to
> email.

backup ?

for me I find it comforting I can drop my laptop into a metalcruncher
and still
get to all my email.

Also used it a few times being able to use my phone or any webbrowser to
check email
without having to have a fully loaded and configured laptop.

> The need to access from more than one machine is a possibility in the
> future.
> Maybe I could try to keep only emails from the last month or year on
> the
> server and within MailMate.  Older stuff that I still want I could
> offload to
> my main computer.  Elsewhere on this list, people have discussed
> archiving
> emails.  DevonThink, EagleFiler, and Foxtrot were mentioned.  I could
> look
> into some sort of approach using one of those.

I still haven't gotten anywhere near limits so i just let gmail contain
it all ;)

/max