[MlMt] Does MailMate mirror everything back to the server?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 20 11:19:40 EST 2018

On 20 Feb 2018, at 1:13, Ron Britton wrote:

>> IMAP is better if you have more than one device.
>
> I know that's the standard use case, but it doesn't apply to me.  The
> only
> reason I'm considering IMAP, is because MailMate has some features I
> want.
>
> I have many hundreds of email addresses.  It's how I control spam.  It
> looks
> like MailMate won't choke on that.  MM is also the only true
> power-user's mail
> client that I've found.  It has a lot of flexibility and
> customizability.
> That's all appealing, but it seems like the way I use email is more
> compatible
> with the POP3 philosophy.

Yup.

>> you can always run dovecot or some such on your laptop; you'll
>> then be speaking IMAP locally.
>
> I looked into that.  It seems complicated and prone to failure.  I'm
> technical
> enough.  I know I could get it running, but that's a hassle.
> Something could
> go wrong at an inopportune time.  I'd prefer to leave dovecot and mail
> servers
> to the experts.

It's less of an issue than you might think. You're not trying to receive
email from the outside, which takes care of most of the security and
spam
issues. If the local server crashes, it all show up as "disconnected" to
MailMate, but you'll still be able to look at the the cached copies of
messages in MailMate, move new ones there, etc.; when the server comes
back
up, everything will resynchronize. Other than the initial headache of
the setup, the real problem is disk space: you'll have two copies of
every
such message, one in dovecot and one in MailMate. The rest should just
work.