[MlMt] Moving providers

David Shepherdson david at shepherdson.name
Thu Feb 15 16:28:36 EST 2018

On 14 Feb 2018, at 19.19, iep at circa.dk wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best procedure when moving
> IMAP providers/servers? I have a couple of domains with a couple of
> email addresses on each and 2-3 GB of mail on the server (and in
> Mailmate of course). I'm not 100% happy with my current provider, so
> I'm considering moving to a different one. But how best to do it
> without losing mail? And if anyone has any recommendations as to
> providers I'm all ears. Preferably northern Europe/Scandinavia. But
> anywhere in the world will do if there are compelling reasons to go
> there.

I can put in a recommendation for Runbox <https://runbox.com>, who
I’ve been using for the past couple of years. On the very few
occasions when I’ve had problems or questions, their customer service
response has been exemplary. They’re based in Norway and operate
carbon-neutrally, if that’s relevant to you. They also have an IMAP
migration tool (Web-based), which I’ve used on a few occasions and
found to be reliable, though the speed is dependent on the host you’re
moving from, obviously.

I probably *should* have tried Fastmail, since I’m also based in
Australia and used to be acquainted with one of the people who run it
(before he worked there), but for some reason it didn’t come up on my
radar when I was first looking for a new host a couple of years ago. But
I’ve been very happy with Runbox, so I probably wouldn’t switch
without some compelling reason.

David