[MlMt] Moving providers

Billy Youdelman billy at MIX.ORG
Wed Feb 14 09:04:18 EST 2018

Sherif Soliman wrote, quoting iep at circa.dk:

>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best procedure when moving
>> IMAP providers/servers?

> I've been very happy with Fastmail.

After more than two years (since my former excellent postmaster retired)
I am as well.

But, if you have a lot of mail to move, Fastmail's migration tool leaves
(or left, at the end of 2015) a lot to be desired.  I tried it with one
of my users.  It did get the job done, but it was rather slow,
and the only indication of progress was three tiny dots flashing in the
very small new mail count icon on their web page.  Maybe that's been
improved since, I don't know, and I didn't complain about it or even
mention it to them at the time.

So, I used imapsync for the rest.  http://imapsync.lamiral.info  This is
a highly configurable tool, meaning reading the documentation is
necessary, and it costs €50, but it's as fast as your source and
destination can run (running from my own L3 OC-3 at work in Los Angeles,
though, Fastmail in New York City topped out at just 872KB/sec, while
Opus1 was delivering data at 3.8MB/sec), can be set to display and log
everything it's doing, etc, etc.  Much more fun than dragging and
dropping hundreds of mailboxes, heh.

ビリー ヨーデルマん
+1 310 839 7673
http://MIX.ORG/