[MlMt] Moving providers

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Wed Feb 14 03:54:00 EST 2018

On 14 Feb 2018, at 0:19, iep at circa.dk wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best procedure when moving
> IMAP providers/servers? I have a couple of domains with a couple of
> email addresses on each and 2-3 GB of mail on the server (and in
> Mailmate of course). I'm not 100% happy with my current provider, so
> I'm considering moving to a different one. But how best to do it
> without losing mail? And if anyone has any recommendations as to
> providers I'm all ears. Preferably northern Europe/Scandinavia. But
> anywhere in the world will do if there are compelling reasons to go
> there.

I think the suggestion for the best procedure might depend on who you
migrate to.

I've been very happy with Fastmail. You don't mention if you're looking
for a free provider or if you're willing to pay (and if the latter,
whether you have a budget in mind), but part of why I'm happy with
Fastmail is that I pay them. I know how they make their money. They're
based in Australia, which means they are less vulnerable to invasive
surveillance requests - they have a [great and clear privacy
policy](https://www.fastmail.com/about/privacy.html). They are very open
and they [blog often](https://blog.fastmail.com) about their
development, policies, and security and privacy.

If you do go with Fastmail, then I have had good experience with their
IMAP migration. I migrated a few accounts into my one Fastmail account
and haven't noticed anything off. So with them, I would recommend you
migrate through their site and then add the account to MailMate.

The alternative to using the new provider's migration tool is to add
both old and new accounts to MailMate and move email from folders in the
old account to folders in the new account.

Sherif

P.S. If you do want to go with Fastmail, I could send you a referral
code that would benefit us both, but I wholeheartedly recommend them
whether you're interested in that or not.