[MlMt] Preserving tags

Paul Sture mailmt at chingola.ch
Mon Feb 12 18:38:11 EST 2018

One of the beauties of IMAP is that if you point your mail client at two
servers, you can drag existing mails from one server to the other.  I
initially did this to transfer stuff from a POP server/client setup into
IMAP with a different email provider.

Where both servers are remote, everything which isn't cached locally has
to come down to your local machine, then out to the other one, so it can
take quite some time, but that's just a matter of patience.  Since you
use your own MacOS server plus MailMate, the incoming leg of that
journey should be trivial.

As far as the nitty gritty of the transfer goes, the last time I did
this was several years ago, but as far as I recall I created a dummy
account on the target IMAP system to dump everything into, then created
each account in turn and moved them into the right place.  The only
catch I recall was deciding when to change my MX records to point at the
new server, and ensuring that no emails arriving in the transition
period got lost.  Copious double checking satisfied me there.