[MlMt] Moving to a new computer

Sun Dec 2 15:27:51 EST 2018

On 2 Dec 2018, at 20:32, Annamarie wrote:

> Well that computer went back to the seller as it wasn't charging so I
> get to do it over again and right when I get whatever new computer I
> decide on. @Bill I don't see an "export" command?

With `export` (and `import`) Bill means arguments to the `defaults`
command. Curiously, these are not documented in the man page of
`defaults`, but they are listed if you, e.g., run the `defaults` command
without any arguments:

     defaults

To be more specific, something like this should work:

	defaults export com.freron.MailMate ~/Desktop/MyMailMatePrefs.plist

And then on the new machine:

	defaults import com.freron.MailMate ~/Desktop/MyMailMatePrefs.plist

(I haven't actually tried the above.)

As noted before, I think simply copying the file should work if you
haven't yet launched MailMate on the new machine.

> @Benny so when I am installing MM on the new computer  - do I create a
> Mailmate folder in application support and put the `plist` files in
> that folder?

Yes.

> Before installing MM? or is there a window between install and launch?

Do it before launching MailMate. If you fail to do that then you can
just delete the contents of the folder first.