[MlMt] Tag completion upper/lower case confusion

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Wed Aug 29 21:39:03 EDT 2018

Hi Benny,

On 29 August 2018, at 2341, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2018, at 18:37, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I just encountered issue #1 again, exactly as
>> originally described:
>
> Ok, let me know if you find a series of steps which reproduces this.
> Maybe with the next test release since I've fixed a couple of other
> issues (which I don't *think* is related to this problem).

For what it is worth, this is the same issue that I reported on the 23rd
of January of this year, and it still is just as prevalent today.

Once MailMate gets stuck with the case sensitivity and
auto-complete/matching, the only way to "clear" the state is to quit and
restart.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time.

If I have a tag such as "ML:Fubar" and I start typing "Ml" it may show
up correctly with auto-capitalisation on the L once, but, after a few
backspaces and trying again, MailMate will force the capitalisation to
"Ml" not ML, and won't match any tags.

It seems to get stuck in this mode until quit/restart; I assign tags
with the capitalisation I want by using the menus and whatnot, but, I
can no longer type them with the case I want -- it just gets wedged in
forcibly changing the case to the wrong value.

My preference would be that at least optionally, once a tag is defined,
case sensitivity for matching should be ignored and MailMate should only
suggest tags in their stored/saved values, unless an entirely NEW value
is being entered.  That is, once it's clear that no matches match, it
should allow the capitalisation to be as the user types it in.

I realise that may not be possible, but, certainly if there is a
matching tag, it shouldn't get confused about case when there IS a match
and NOT match because the auto-corrected case isn't matching the case of
the saved/existing tag value.

Regards,

Scott