[MlMt] MailMate ignores messages in Gmail

Bernard Bel bernarbel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:36:35 EDT 2018

Hello,

This topic might already have been addressed on this list. I confess
that I skipped many postings due to time constraints…

MailMate does not download some messages from the reception box of my
Gmail account. Currently the box contains 1343 messages, which I believe
is reasonable. MailMate downloads via Imap.

I cannot see a regularity in this process. Messages coming from the same
sender or mailing list may or may not be skipped for no apparent reason.

The problem gets worse when I browse the mailbox on my iPhone. Almost
(but not all) messages I have viewed are skipped by MM. I do not delete
them! They are still visible on the Gmail interface. Flagging them as
“important” does not improve their fate.

I do not know when this happened for the first time. I came to know it
the day I was told that a message had been sent and checked that it was
visible both on the iPhone and Gmail interface.

I first believed that the problem was some obscure setting of the
iPhone, but if messages are kept in Gmail inbox then I don’t figure
out they could be altered by the iPhone. Moreover, I saw skipped
messages this morning even though I had not checked mail on the iPhone.

I feel bad because search engines did not return other users facing the
same annoying situation. :-(

To check whether this problem is caused by some unknown process on my
MacBook (running 10.11.6) I tried to relaunch Mail. Well, Mail no longer
starts properly! It keeps hanging with a colored wheel instead of
displaying entries, and for a few hours LittleSnitch tells me that there
is a heavy flow of data incoming from Gmail. I must say that “All
messages” contains 30,000 messages because Mail (and MailMate) are
also picking up from another Gmail account used as an archive. It may be
useful to mention this trouble in Mail as it could be related with
trouble in MailMate: both programs might be disturbed by errors in Gmail
for which they stop downloading messages.

Any idea?

Bernard Bel